How long to retain transaction log backups on the source storage system
PDF of this doc site
- SnapCenter Server installation
Protect Microsoft SQL Server databases
- SnapCenter Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server
- Prepare to install the SnapCenter Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server
Protect SAP HANA databases
- SnapCenter Plug-in for SAP HANA Databases
- Prepare to install the SnapCenter Plug-in for SAP HANA Database
- Back up SAP HANA resources
- Protect Oracle databases
- Protect Windows file systems
- Protect Microsoft Exchange Server databases
Protect Custom applications
- Prepare to install SnapCenter Custom Plug-ins
SnapCenter Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server needs transaction log backups to perform up-to-the-minute restore operations, which restore your database to a time between two full backups.
For example, if Plug-in for SQL Server took a full backup at 8:00 a.m. and another full backup at 5:00 p.m., it could use the latest transaction log backup to restore the database to any time between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. If transaction logs are not available, Plug-in for SQL Server can perform point-in-time restore operations only, which restore a database to the time that Plug-in for SQL Server completed a full backup.
Typically, you require up-to-the-minute restore operations for only a day or two. By default, SnapCenter retains a minimum of two days.