Considering checksum type when planning array LUN size and number
PDF of this doc site
- Implementing E-Series storage
- Implementing third-party storage
- Planning a configuration with array LUNs
- Planning for ONTAP use of array LUNs
- Planning for paths to array LUNs
- Verifying installation with storage arrays
- Troubleshooting configurations with storage arrays
When planning the number and size of array LUNs that you need for ONTAP, you must consider the impact of the checksum type on the amount of usable space in the array LUN. A checksum type must be specified for each array LUN assigned to an ONTAP system.
When an array LUN on the storage array is mapped to be used by an ONTAP system , ONTAP treats the array LUN as a raw, unformatted disk. When you assign an array LUN to an ONTAP system you specify the checksum type, which tells ONTAP how to format the raw array LUN. The impact of the checksum type on usable space depends on the checksum type you specify for the LUN.